10/12/2008

Dequelvin Douglas

Dequelvin Douglas #305089
WCI
PO Box 351
Waupun, WI 53963

Excuse me for my informal intrusion. I'm not accustomed to establishing a line of communication this way, but filling the social void has become an issue. I sincerely want to you to learn who I am, where I am and why I am. So that we can hopefully meet on common ground, not allowing color, weight, age, religion or any of the set standards to become a wedge between good people.

To being with... let me give you a brief description of my physical self. I stand 5'6" and 140 lbs. I have broad shoulders and a slim waist. I sport a shaved head and a very sweet cinnamon brown complexion. On May 23rd, I turned 29 years of age.

As a child I grew up in a single parent family, there are 3 of us. I'm oldest of 3 boys, so the family spoiled me. I carried a lil' bit over into adulthood.

I know there's a lot of stigmas associated with my circumstances and the biggest by far is that we befriend someone for financial gain. This is merely a myth, so don't swallow it, hook, line and sinker (no pun intended).

Allow me to point something out to you. There is no denying that I've robbed myself of certain freedoms and experiences and that's putting it simply. For all of my trial and tribulations, for all of my ups and downs, my "to's and fo's", I'm still baffled by the awesome twists and turns that life takes us on.

Prison undoubtedly is a terrible place to be, under any circumstances, even so I try to use it to my advantage by restructuring some old habits. I never realized I had obligations and responsibilities to my family, our community, country and even the world. Learning to appreciate some of life's simplest gifts, gets me through the night and into mornings light.

The more I learn, the more I realize I'm compelled to be consumed by compassion and understanding. My sole purpose, hopefully, is to gain you as a friend at the very least. A good friend can make all the difference, whether it's only a few words of inspiration, or showing me a different side of life. I dare you to be different and venture into new territory. I hope in not coming across too strong or mushy, to fast, because that is not my intent.

So tell me, how does one express his most intimate feelings on paper?? to someone he doesn't really know?? especially under these circumstances?? My biggest problem is that I've had to become a realist, in order to preserve any goodness I possessed before being placed in such adverse surroundings.

Before I go, I want to say that we all have had our encounters with life's disappointments, some worse than others. Perhaps those scars are so deeply embedded that not even time will heal them... or maybe it just requires someone who's open enough to take a chance, who's not afraid of caring or growing close together as one. someone who's willing to go that extra mile when the tank reads empty.

And you?? What's your story??

Sincerely,
Dequelvin

No comments: